Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wheat-Free Flour Mix




 After much trial and error, I have finally found a custom flour mix that I like.  I use it to replace wheat flour in most recipes (muffins, cookies, waffles, etc.).  I even use it to bread meats and for a yeast bread recipe that I will post in the near future.   It holds together fairly well and I prefer the taste of it to some gluten-free flour mixes.  Without further ado... here it is: 

(Note that it is Wheat-Free NOT Gluten-Free)

Michelle’s Wheat Free Flour Mix
4 cups oat flour
2 ½ cups brown rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1 cup corn flour
1 cup tapioca flour or starch
½ cup flax seed meal (optional)

I dump it all into an empty #10 can, put the plastic reusable lid on it, and then shake it up in the can while rotating it at the same time.  You could also mix it in a large bowl with a whisk, but some of the flours/starches are very fine and like to get everywhere.  I keep a copy of the recipe right on the can lid so it is easy to reference when I need to refill my mix.

You can find potato and tapioca starch at a specialty food store or at many types of ethnic markets.  For the oat flour I put rolled oats in the blender, or oat groats in my electric grain mill.  I also grind the brown rice in my electric grain mill. 

Happy Wheat-Free baking and cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment